12.04.2023

AZZATO & HIS MENINAS DE MADRID IN CARACAS

 

"Closing my eyes, then opening them just to see that everything is so beautiful"... I love this phrase I read a while ago. It keeps me company, it comes and resonates in me each time I see art & beauty fused right in front of my eyes as if it is 'the normal' thing to happen. I think many might experience this ravishing effect in the streets of Madrid when coming face to face with those magnificent, grand, colorful figures known as the Meninas. Clearly, there is always someone to thank; so, thank you for this delightful gift, Antonio.



Antonio Azzato, born in a Spanish-Italian home in Venezuela; is known as "Azzato, el de las Meninas de Madrid" (Azzato, the guy that makes the Meninas of Madrid). Moved by his intuition, sensibility, and artistic spirit; he won the trust of Madrid Mayor and her Office to develop a superb project that became a reality, and now the Madrileños get to enjoy again and again. Las Meninas fill with beauty, creativity, and excitement the streets of this wonderful city I call 'la ciudad sin defectos' (the city with no flaws). That is what it is for me. I adore it!

Meeting Antonio was such a delight. He projects this lovely, genuine. and honest energy. Just like those artists one loves to idealize when reading about them. Though, he is for real. Kind, humble, loyal to his values and dreams; and a non-stop deal when the road gets bumpy. 

This December 2023, he brings his Meninas with him to his beloved Caracas. And we just cannot wait! 



Here I share our lovely interview...


When did you feel the call to take the artist’s path? Was it at a young age?

As a young boy, I spontaneously wanted to give a creative touch to everything; in school, in sports, in life in general. But it wasn’t until I joined our family business (we designed furniture) that I really got into the world of the arts.

How did it happen? How did you become the sculptor of Las Meninas de Madrid?

Being an admirer of Velázquez, each time I visited the city I would go to see his Meninas in the Prado Museum. One day someone next to me started to cry in front of the painting. It was then when I really understood how effectively special this canvas was. My engineer side talked to me: “Velázquez is speaking out loud a message we are not completely getting.” This painting is, after the Mona Lisa, the most reinterpreted in the modern world. It was clear to me, I had to do something. I was determined to try to decipher the variable it contained. That is why I called it El Mensaje Infinito de Velázquez (The Infinite Message of Velázquez). I create a white figure so new messages can be transmitted.

I presented my project to the Ayuntamiento, the Mayor’s Office. Coincidentally, the Mayor then thought that the Meninas should become the icon of the city. So, they approved my idea, and here we are. After a few editions, las Meninas are part of the identity of Madrid.

Which has been the greatest challenge of this already materialized project?

Being able to organize all the communication between the important brands and companies participating and supporting the project, the Mayor’s Office, the sponsors, and the non-profit organizations, without a doubt. It wasn’t an easy job. But today, they all work in a perfect symbioses and balance. 

On the other hand, it has become a wonderful opportunity to pay tribute to the Pop-Art created decades ago by Warhol, Duchamps, etc. They turned brands into art pieces.

Is there a difference between Antonio the artist and Antonio the father, family and friend?

They are pretty the same. I share what I do with those close to me. I want my kids to grow in an artistic environment, impregnated with creativity. I am a very private and tranquil person. My party days passed a long time ago. Our life revolves around the arts. 

Has sculpture been your main artistic language?

No. It was first designing, painting, then photography. I used to intervene the furniture that came out with defects in our stores. I played with collage, painting… These pieces ended up becoming the most popular ones. But today, it is sculpturing the language I communicate with. 

How would you define your artistic language?

It is conceptual art. Every Menina carries a message that is implicit. Each one is a white canvas ready to become a message to be transmitted to a public that is very diverse. 

What is your most influential source of inspiration?

I have always felt fascinated with the street art. Graffiti in Caracas bridges, Banksy, etc. I love that creative communication in the streets through art. I am a fan of beauty. Clearly, perceiving what beauty is, well, that is very personal. I just always follow the path where beauty calls. 

How would you say sculpture impacts our society?

Now art is not only seen in museums. The street art talks to everyone, everywhere, all the time. Sculpture connects easier with people if it is in the streets.

You have inspired so many, Venezuelans, and others. Any word of wisdom, of advice, you might want to share with us?

It sounds cliche, but one must not abandon a deeply felt dream. And always stay humble. No one is more than anyone else. When you feel you are doing what feels right; when you are following what your dreams tell you; nothing else should matter. Always moving forward.

What can you tell us about the visit with your Meninas to Caracas this December 2023? 

I am so excited. Having the fortune and joy to come back to Venezuela with my art; the country that gave me so much; to me and to my family. I have always wanted to return and give back in some way through my art. I owe so much to this land. My father arrived from Italy with just a bag, and my mother from Spain when those European countries were going through rough times. Venezuela gave them the opportunity to build a family and raise five children. I just really want to give back. 

I will be accompanied by brilliant talents and artists, such as Deyna Castellano, Gleyber Torres, Ronald Acuña, Oscar de León, Ángel Sánchez. This makes me feel so grateful and fortunate.

Las Meninas will arrive to Caracas by the end of December 2023. And their exhibition will start in January to celebrate and welcome the new year 2024.


It has been such an honor, Antonio. Thank you for your time, and for making us so proud. We can only wish you the very best. See you soon! 

Much love,

Gaby

No comments:

Post a Comment

A EUPHORIC MIND, IVANNA GAUTIER

There are people that carry with them an innate magic; people that only by being in their presence, through their genuine and honest essence...