3.24.2024

A EUPHORIC MIND, IVANNA GAUTIER


There are people that carry with them an innate magic; people that only by being in their presence, through their genuine and honest essence; can touch and pass on a beautiful extra ‘something’ that is hard to explain. Ivanna is certainly one of those beings. A Euphoric Mind of infinite talent, full of dreams, and with a heart of gold. I call her ‘la artista’.  



She was born in Caracas. Today, she lives in Madrid; and with only 26 years old she has won a place to show one of her paintings in the Museu Europeu d’Art Modern, MAEM, in Barcelona, Spain this upcoming month of May.

Here our lovely interview…

When and how did you meet your inner artist?

I never thought I would paint. It did not even interest me at first. In fact, my mom did all my schoolwork related to art. She has this spectacular ability to create art.

It all started in High School. I got so bored in class that I started to draw my teachers. Then I noticed that it was quite easy and natural for me to draw and paint. So, I ask my mother to take me to the art store. And here I am. Art became a part of me.

Drawing became a sort of scape. Each time I did not feel so well, I took my little sketchbook, and I wrote, drew, painted. I still have that notebook. Eventually, I took classes and realized that I had found ‘my thing’.

Today, I am more connected to my painting than ever. I cannot imagine doing something else.

Who have been your greatest influences?

Mi artistic carreer would have not started without the influence of someone so important to me, Oscar Villalón. The bases of my work are thanks to what I learned from him and his art academy,  Decinti Villalón, when I came to live in Madrid. 

Then, Eloy Morales, one of my greatest motivators and teacher. Madrid, and the opportunity this city gives me of being surrounded by art exhibitions all the time. Antonio López, who I consider the best Spanish painter today. Also, other modern artists such as Sebas Velasco. He makes superb wall paintings that really move me. From the classical painters; Velázquez (my favorite) and Mariano Fortuny. It is amazing what they accomplished with a few brushstrokes.

What inspires you to create?

My huge curiosity and my mistakes. They enrich me so much. They inspire me to keep moving, pushing, and improving myself. Exploring new techniques motivates me a lot too. But mostly, learning from my mistakes is what pushes me beyond who I am and inspires me.

What are your favorite artistic mediums of expression and materials?

All of them! But if I must choose, I really love oil painting and coloring pencils.

And what do you like to paint the most?

Everything. Especially the human body; and not necessarily realistically speaking. It is so wonderful the fact that a person can recreate another one through painting.

How do you manage to live with your artistic side? Is it present in everything you do, or do you have your moments?

I live with it all the time. Without a doubt, I carry that extra sensibility everywhere I go. Sometimes it is not easy. One might suffer more. But at the end, art is usually born through seeing and feeling the everyday life in a sensible and very personal way. I guess I have to learn to live with that.   

You have won a place in a particularly important exhibition in Barcelona, Spain. How did it all happen?

I did not have any expectations. I never thought they would choose my painting. There were around a thousand artists competing for thirty spaces. But I felt I had the basics to put myself to the test. I took my chances. Why did they pick my painting? That, I will find out when I get there in May. I hope this is the beginning of beautiful things to come.

The exhibition will be on May 17th in the MEAM. This is a huge honor for me.

How do you see yourself in few years?

I see myself working on what I love; each time with more freedom to do only what I really like. I want my clients to say: “Do what you want. I trust you 100%.” I see myself making art, which is an inseparable part of who I am.



Thank you, Ivanna. You are a star in every sense! I wish you the best of luck because you deserve it.

@ivannagautier

Life is a runway!

XO

Gaby


No comments:

Post a Comment

A EUPHORIC MIND, IVANNA GAUTIER

There are people that carry with them an innate magic; people that only by being in their presence, through their genuine and honest essence...